How do facial thread veins and broken capillaries differ?
There are several names for thread veins on the face, including spider veins, broken capillaries, and telangiectasias. There are a few small blood vessels under the skin that are visible on the face, nose, and around the mouth.
Blood vessels that are less than 0.2mm in diameter are usually red. They are often referred to as broken capillaries. They may sometimes be surrounded by vessels. It can be difficult to distinguish all of the vessels when they are so small, and the area just looks like a red or purple patch.
Blood vessels that are larger than 0.2mm in diameter usually appear dark red, blue, or purple. This is known as a thread vein.
Broken capillaries and thread veins can look like:
- straight lines – usually on the nose’s side
- It’s like a network, where the lines are connected
- The finer branches of a tree
Describe the spider naevus.
The spider naevus is a red spot that forms when a central blood vessel bulges out. It may have a few smaller vessels radiating from it. A spider naevus can occur at any stage of life, including during childhood, pregnancy, and old age.
What are the causes of facial thread veins and broken capillaries?
There are thousands of tiny blood vessels in the skin. You can’t normally see the blood vessels because they are so small. It is collagen that supports the tiny blood vessels in the skin, and if there is not enough collagen, these vessels become distended. Thread vein removal in Nottingham on the face are typically a sign of skin ageing due to a decline in collagen. Thread veins on the face can result from anything that breaks down collagen, including sun exposure and smoking.
People with fairer skins are more likely to have thread veins on their facial skin as the sun kills collagen.
Thread veins on the face are not necessarily related to aging and can occur in younger people as well.
Thread veins on the face may also be caused by:
- A boil or acne spot – the inflammation stimulates the formation of new blood vessels
- Early acne scarring – capillaries around hair follicles may dilate causing a new acne scar to appear red or purple.
- From exfoliating too much – excessive microdermabrasion and scrub use can result in thread veins
- Around a scar – whether accidental or from an operation – the body heals
- Long-term use of topical steroids on the face
- From having radiotherapy
- Genetic and hereditary conditions like hereditary hemorrhagic telangiectasias
- Too much oestrogen – High levels of oestrogen, such as during pregnancy, can stretch blood vessels
- What is the cause of thread veins and broken capillaries?
The nose and cheeks are common sites for thread veins and broken capillaries. There is a common area where the nose meets the cheeks on the sides, and where the cheeks meet the nose. The face, neck, and décolleté are all possible locations for broken capillaries and thread veins.
Do facial thread veins indicate rosacea?
It is not a guarantee that a person has Rosacea just because they have facial veins. Thread veins are not necessarily associated with Rosacea. Despite this, many rosacea sufferers will have thread veins. A diagnosis of rosacea requires other symptoms like flushing, redness, and inflammatory spots to be present.
Is there anything I can do to prevent thread veins?
You can prevent thread veins by wearing good sun protection and not smoking. If you are fair skinned, you may still have some thread veins.
Is there a way to clear thread veins and broken capillaries?
The use of radiofrequency can treat thread veins, broken capillaries, and spider naevi. A fine probe is inserted into the tiny vessels, and a gentle radiofrequency current is passed through. A blood vessel is destroyed.
The benefits of thread vein treatment
Thread veins on the nose, side of the nose, cheeks and upper lips can be treated with radiofrequency. It is also effective in clearing away spider naevus lesions. Around 70% of lesions are cleared after a single treatment, and another 20% after a second treatment. A total of two treatments will therefore reduce lesions by about 90%.
Thread vein treatment risks
A quick pinch feels like the treatment. The area becomes red immediately. Small scabs may form occasionally. Small depressions may occur if the lesion being treated is substantial. A scar is unlikely to form.
There is a tendency for thread veins to return. The same thread vein may return or a new one may develop. There are usually follow-up treatments required 6 or 12 months after the first treatment.